WHY SHOULD I GET MY CHIMNEY SWEPT?
It is vital that your chimney is swept frequently in accordance with the table below to help prevent chimney fires and to receive the best efficiency and economy from your heating appliance or fire.
Chimney sweeping should be carried out immediately before the burning season commences in Autumn/Winter to prevent any blockage problems in the chimney e.g. birds nests, leaves, spiderwebs, fallen or loose masonry etc. A chimney cowl or cap is recommended on all chimneys to reduce these problems.
HOW CAN CHIMNEY FIRES BE PREVENTED?
- Ensure your chimney is swept in accordance with the table above.
- Use dry seasoned woods only,with no more than 20% moisture content.
- Build small hot fires which burn more completely and produce less smoke.
- Don't burn cardboard boxes,waste paper, or Christmas trees.
- Use only recommended fuels for your appliance and flue type.